Or, is the opening monologue in the series “Penny Dreadful – City of Angels” a harbinger of the future?
This will be the shortest Around the Block I’ve ever posted.
With the world in disarray from fires and floods, from hurricanes and tornadoes, from never ending wars and humanitarian crises, from mutating Covid strains and delusional anti-vaxers, from assaults on women’s rights and assaults on voting rights, from rampant racism and virulent anti-Semitism, I came across this…the opening monologue of the first episode of the Showtime paranormal series, “Penny Dreadful – City of Angels.” Unfortunately, it pretty much sums up where we are and where we appear to be headed.
There will come a time when the world is ready for me; when nation will battle nation; when race will devour race; when brother will kill brother, until not a soul is left. Are you ready?
And on that day a leader will arise and set all the Kingdoms to war and all the races one against the other; a day when the dark powers are coming into alignment and the world is ready to burn. And all it would take is one final spark.
Look, nobody ever accused me of being a “glass half-full” kind of guy.
Have a great day!
Random sampling of just today’s newspaper headlines…
- New Jersey’s Stunning Storm Toll Includes Many Who Drowned in Cars
- Indian vs. Black: Vigilante Killings Upend a South African Town
- Afghans With Ties to U.S. Who Could Not Get Out Now Live in Fear
- New Zealand Police Kill ‘Extremist’ Who Stabbed 6 in ISIS-Inspired Attack
- Dixie Fire Approaches 50th Day
- Ida Paralyzes the New York City Area
- GOP-controlled states may try to follow Texas with restrictive abortion bans
- U.S. COVID deaths hit 1,500 a day amid delta scourge
- Hurricane Larry slowly strengthening, forecast to be a Category 4 storm this weekend
- Delta means we may never eradicate COVID
- Extended power outages push Louisiana residents to leave
- Study documents dramatic loss of remaining Pyrenees glaciers
- In the Dead of Night, the Supreme Court Proved It Has Too Much Power
- Dodgers’ misplay gives Giants 3-2 win in 11th inning, S.F. back atop NL West*
*Ok, I had to get one positive headline in!