The United States of America, that is
Some of you might know a social media site called “Next Door.” It is the self-described, “local hub to connect and share with the neighborhood. It’s where communities come together to keep a local shopkeeper in business. Where neighbors exchange recommendations for babysitters, plans for local events, and tips about what to order at that new cafe down the street. Where local agencies connect with neighbors in need.”
It is not a venue for screeds, from the right or from the left.
So imagine my surprise when my email box contained this fragment of a “Next Door” post.
Worth reading, this is how I feel! I’m saddened…I never dreamed that I would have to face the prospect of not living in the United States of America, at least not the one I have known all my life. I have never wished to live anywhere else.
Wow, I thought. Someone who is actually “facing the prospect of not living in the USA!” I’ve got to read this I thought, particularly given that I’ve talked about leaving since before Trump’s election in 2016 and talked about it more seriously in the event of a Trump re-election.
And then I read the rest of what this poster had to say. What I saw before me, in black and white, was the evidence of what happens when people get all their information from sources like Fox News, Breitbart, Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh and others.
Actually, if a Biden/Warren win and perhaps even…a “Blue Tsunami”…encourages this poster and others like him to “live somewhere else,” all I can say is zai gezunt.*
(*be healthy, be well; farewell! or, sarcastically, a recommendation for greater sophistication or awareness: “get real”)
As you read below what my seriously ill-informed, poster wrote, please let me know if you want to join me in a hearty zai gezunt.
Oh, wait. He didn’t write it. As he says at the end, he cut and pasted it.
But before you read the post and spoil your day, I cannot finish this post without this thought.
The Democratic National Convention
I write this on an historic day, August 18, 2020, the day in which Joe Biden was nominated as the Democratic candidate for President of the United States of America, I’ve been watching Democratic conventions since 1956 when Adlai Stevenson was nominated for the second time. I was 10-years old. As I watched those 16 conventions, I always thought the most exciting part was the roll call vote. A funny thing happened in 2020, the first “virtual” convention. The roll call vote was the best I’ve ever experienced – a gorgeous American travelogue with no funny hats; no silly state slogans; no balloons; no confetti – just heartfelt, genuine, true support for the man I hope will be the next President of the United States.
But back to “Next Door.” I guess, according to this Fox-informed poster, one thing rang true: Trump, after almost four years, reneged on yet another promise: he did not “Make America Great Again” Shocking!
I’m saddened…I never dreamed that I would have to face the prospect of not living in the United States of America, at least not the one I have known all my life. I have never wished to live anywhere else. While having my morning coffee, I realized that everything is about to change. No matter how I vote, no matter what I say, something evil has invaded our nation, and our lives are never going to be the same. I have been confused by the hostility of family and friends. I look at people I have known for a long time who are so filled with hate because they continued to listen to the opinions of the media as if they are spitting the truth. Sadly I don’t know what the word truth means any more. It’s absolutely unbelievable. I think I live in The Twilight Zone these days. We have become a nation that has lost its collective mind! Let me see if I can convey why I am thinking this way.
• If a dude pretends to be a woman, you are required to pretend with him.
• Somehow, it’s un-American for the census to count how many Americans are in America.
• Russians influencing our elections are bad, but illegals voting in our elections are good, really?
• It was cool for Joe Biden to “blackmail” the President of Ukraine, but it’s an impeachable offense if Donald Trump inquires about it.
• Twenty is too young to drink a beer, but eighteen is old enough to vote.
• People who have never owned slaves should pay slavery reparations to people who have never been slaves.
• Inflammatory rhetoric is outrageous, but harassing people in restaurants is virtuous.
• People who have never been to college or people who paid for there(sic) own college should now pay the debts of college students who took out huge loans for their degrees.
• Immigrants with tuberculosis and polio are welcome, but you’d better be able to prove your dog is vaccinated.
• Irish doctors and German engineers who want to immigrate must go through a rigorous vetting process, but any illiterate gangbanger who jumps the southern fence are welcome.
• $5 billion for border security is too expensive, but $1.5 trillion for “free” health care is not.
• If you cheat to get into college you go to prison, but if you cheat to get into the country you go to college for free.
• People who say there is no such thing as gender are demanding a female President???
• We see other countries going Socialist and collapsing, but it seems like a great plan for us, why would anyone in The U.S. want this?
• Some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, and other people are not held responsible for what they are doing right now.
• Criminals are catch-and-released to hurt more people but stopping them is bad because it’s a violation of THEIR rights.
• And pointing out all this hypocrisy somehow makes us “racists”?!
Nothing makes sense anymore, no values, no morals, no civility and people are dying of a Chinese virus, but it’s racist to refer to it as Chinese even though it began in China.
We are clearly living in an upside down world where right is wrong and wrong is right, where moral is immoral and immoral is moral, where good is evil and evil is good, where killing murderers is wrong, but killing innocent babies is right, where darkness is light and light is now darkness.
Wake up America, the great unsinkable ship “Titanic America” has hit an iceberg, is taking on water and sinking fast. The choice is yours to make. What will it be? Time is short, make your choice wisely! Not my words but very accurate and disturbing!
Feel free to copy and paste. I did.
8 thoughts on “To Leave or Not to Leave, That is the Question”
And now you know why we are in so much trouble. Please let there be more of us than them. I have received screeds like that in emails.
Great piece Ted. Is there a comparable list of all things HA (his Ass____} has done that is destroying America?
Sent from my iPhone-thanks for the email.
if I help him pack will he leave before the election??
second Q—-how many electoral votes does Putin have???
Putin doesn’t need any. Why do you think he’s coming to NY before the election. Not only is he bringing the “Russian vaccine,” he’s bringing his newest invention –– the toolkit that will adjust 75% of all voting machine votes for Biden into Trump votes. It’s a more sophisticated version of the toolkit Alexander Lukashenko used in the Belarus election in which Lukashenko garnered 80% of the vote. Putin is limiting his “fix” to 75% so as not to raise eyebrows.
That was a truly disturbing post. Apparently an alternative reality. I join you in wishing him (or her) a zai gezunt.
The post was, thankfully, taken down as it broke all the site’s rules of conduct. However, before it was, 100% of the comments were positive and congratulatory. The problem: it is an alternative reality…but a reality believed by from 20%-40% of the American electorate. That’s what is truly disturbing. Not one nut case, but millions of them.
I am with you!! Let’s throw this guy a party and escort him to the border. I am trying to remember that Hillary won by 3 million votes. Let’s hope that more people have come to their senses and will not stay home this time. I also saw a feature on TV about a Trump supporter who had enough after realizing Trump and his allies were trying to rig the election through sabotaging the Post Office. However, he still couldn’t bring himself to vote Democratic. He was thinking about voting for a third party. Let’s encourage more Republicans to think outside the Republican box.
I have thought of it as well
Sent from my iPad